One Country. One Trail.
It is an experience not to be missed: discover the highlights of the Principal-ity of Liechtenstein on foot on the Liechtenstein Trail. Awaiting the explorer are 75 kilometres full of exciting stories, sights, majestic views, idyllic spots to have a rest, and much more.
The ‘Liechtenstein Trail’ connects all of Liechtenstein’s municipalities, and extends an invitation to the whole country, as well as to guests from abroad, to head out on an exciting journey through Liechtenstein. Along this trail, you can not only discover and celebrate the history of the country but also experience the Principality of YESTERDAY, TODAY and TOMORROW.
147 specially-selected historical sites and events, so-called Points of Interest (POIs), are all connected through the ‘Liechtenstein Trail’, a route which is around 75 kilometres long. His-torical events which have no geographical connection are placed between the location-specific POIs. The trail follows the existing network of paths and trails through all 11 munici-palities, either from south to north or north to south. It is possible to begin the trail from every municipality. The entire route can be completed in several stages.
No need to worry if you don’t have the app, as the route can also be hiked without the ‘LIstory’ app, thanks to the physical signage along the trail.
This trail really opened my eyes to what this often-overlooked country has to offer. Liechtenstein’s tourism board has done a spectacular job of making the trail relevant and interesting. There are 147 stops to “unlock” on a special app along the way with cultural and historical information. Using borrowed cell space, we had a few tech glitches. Overall, though, we were able to appreciate the whole experience.
JoAnna, a full-time freelance writer, public speaker, founder of Rooted
Information about the Route
- The trail goes through all 11 municipalities of Liechtenstein
- The route is 75 kilometres long
- Ascents/descents of 2,000 m/2,000 m
- Min./max. altitude of 429 m/1,103 m
- Overall walking time of 21 hours
- The trail can go from south to north or north to south
- It is possible to begin the trail from every municipality
- Parts of the route are also accessible for people with limited mobility
It is recommended to walk the Liechtenstein Trail with hiking boots. Especially the sections Triesen-Triesenberg, Triesenberg-Vaduz, Planken-Nendeln and Ruggell-Schellenberg contain steep sections.
Route (outdoor active)
Liechtenstein Trail route
Order free of chare the "Panorama map" with the Liechtenstein Trail inlcuded.
Discover the history and culture of Liechtenstein in a new way with the free "LIstory" app.
Media coverage about the Liechtenstein Trail
- New York Times: This Cross-Country Hike Took 5 Days. That’s Going the Long Way
- Lonely Planet - Best of Europe 2019: Alpine thrills: Liechtenstein for lovers of the outdoors
- Time Magazine - World's greatest places 2019
- Norwegian Airlines: Small Country - Big Hike (ab Seite 48)
- Hemispheres Magazine (United Airlines) - Hike Liechtenstein in just three days