Church hill in Bendern
Historically, the "Schwurplatz" ("Oath Square") at the top of the hill leading up to the church in Bendern symbolises the creation of what we today know as the Principality of Liechtenstein.
It was here in 1699 that subjects under Schellenberg rule swore an oath of loyalty to the new local ruler, Prince Johann Adam Andreas von Liechtenstein, who had bought the right of dominion from the Count of Hohenems.
The first settlers are thought to have arrived around 4000 years ago, and research indicates that a church was built on the hill as early as the 6th century. The new, Gothic-style parish church was inaugurated in 1481, with the rectory added in 1539.
The church is open to visitors.
Acces to the church is free of charge
History of the Principality of Liechtenstein